Regulations for participation in General Counsel Netherlands
- Participation in General Counsel Netherlands (“GCN”) is only open to those who, at the time of application, are employed as an ultimately responsible (in-house) lawyer within a company or organisation in the Netherlands. Another requirement for participation is that GCs have a law degree from a university and have at least 10 years of relevant work experience. Other senior lawyers, working in companies or organisations that have a law degree from a university and have at least 10 years of relevant work experience, but are not (yet) the final responsible lawyer, can also become a participant of GCN under the conditions mentioned in this paragraph. They must be explicitly nominated to GCN by the GC of the company or organisation where he or she works, and the relevant GC must also be a participant of GCN.
- If and to the extent that a participating GC does not work, or no longer works as a GC, participation by the GC must be terminated by the end of the year in which he or she ceases to work as a GC.
- GCs participating in GCN have access to all elements of GCN’s multimedia platform, as described at www.generalcounsel.nl (“the website”). On the other hand, participating GCs are obliged to pay an annual contribution to GCN (“annual contribution”). The amount of the annual contribution is stated on the website. GCs are obliged to ensure that payment of the annual contribution is made within 30 days of receipt of the relevant invoice.
- Regardless of the month in which a GC registers as member of GCN, the full annual contribution is due for the current calendar year until 31 December. The exception to this is when a GC applies in the month of November or December. In that case, no annual contribution is due for the current calendar year until 31 December. In that case, the payment obligation starts on 1 January of the next calendar year.
- Participation in GCN is from 1 January to 31 December of one year and is always automatically extended by one calendar year unless valid notice of termination has been given.
- A GC can validly terminate participation by cancelling the membership by 31 October of a current year at the latest, via firstname.lastname@example.org. In the absence of a valid cancellation, the GC is obliged to pay the annual contribution for the following year.
- GCs are not permitted to use GCN for their own business gain or for the gain of the company or organisation where the GC operates – for example, by sending mailings to all GCN participants or offering their own services – either directly or indirectly.
- Participants of GCN are obliged to handle information obtained through GCN with caution, if and to the extent that they can reasonably assume that such information should be handled with caution.
- The management of GCN is entitled to deviate from these regulations where appropriate and/or to ask participants questions about this. If and in so far as participants do not comply with these regulations, GCN’s management is authorised to withdraw their participation with immediate effect without GCN being obliged to refund the annual contribution.
General Counsel Netherlands B.V. – Eslaan 13A, 1404 EE Bussum – KVK 56.34.57.04- www.generalcounsel.nl