Welcome to you!
The role and position of the General Counsel has changed significantly over the past decade. A General Counsel is not only a legal expert and the ethical compass of the company but is also expected to be a strategic business partner. A proactive member of the corporate decision-making team that acts as a change agent on issues like digitalization, reputation, and globalization.
GCN is a professional knowledge network, by and especially for General Counsels, which aims to support GCs in this journey of transformation. It’s a platform for GCs to meet, to exchange information and experiences, as well as get to know each other and other innovative parties.
In the below video (you can switch English subtitles on) you can see what we do… Welkom!
GCN Gatherings & Conferences 2021
Every year, GCN organizes several large conferences/gatherings, featuring top-level keynote speakers (also in English), lots of network possibilities, and high-quality General Counsel Roundtables (a couple of them are always in English) on current and challenging topics. It’s the place to meet other GC and other innovative parties in the Netherlands. You will receive the official invitation 6 weeks in advance of an event. We will always keep you informed and will forward at the beginning of each network year – in January- the digital Save-The-Date Agenda. In 2021 we are planning to organize the following meetings:
- General Counsel NL Spring Boost 2021 (Thursday, March 25th – afternoon session) – Theme: ESG
- General Counsel Annual Conference 2021 (Thursday, May 27th – full-day session) – Theme: Corporate Restructuring & Governance
- General Counsel Fall Conference 2021 (Thursday, October 7th – afternoon session) – Theme: Lawyer Wellbeing + General Counsel Award 2021-2022
Peer-to-Peer GC meetings
Several times a year we organize regional peer-to-peer meetings, mostly at the office of one of the member GC. In these meetings, GCs share knowledge, experience, and best practices about a chosen topic or challenge. GCN has 10 regional General Counsel peer coaching groups.
Especially for non-native speakers, with a General Counsel role working and living in The Netherlands, we offer the possibility to meet and exchange thoughts with other international expat GC peers. We facilitate an English spoken group with over 20 international expat General Counsel members. This group currently consists of GCs from the a.o. the following companies: Randstad, Celanese, Microsoft, Align Technology, Prosus, Mitsubishi, Danone, Swarovski, Sky Team, Kyocera, Uber, TomTom, and CRH Holding.
In 2021 the international expat GC group will meet on Tuesday, February 9th, June 8th, and November 23rd, from 8.00-10.00 am. The February session will probably be still an online session due to Covid. We are still planning to visit the Dutch Supreme Court in 2021 once this is allowed again.
GC NL Benchmark Survey
Every other year we undertake an extensive General Counsel NL Benchmark Survey among all GCs in the Netherlands. This report allows each General Counsel to determine their own benchmark. You can download a free copy here. It’s published in English.
General Counsel Award
We organize the General Counsel Award every other year. From a pool of nominated GCs, a jury chooses 3 finalists who then share their story. This award allows us to provide role models, profile modern GCs, and empower others. The next General Counsel Award will be organized in 2021 (fall).
GCN Think Tanks
We organize GCN Think Tanks on contemporary issues, such as Legal Technology and Operations, Dispute Resolution, and Agile Management.
We also communicate online via the secure GCN website and publish the General Counsel NL Newsletter at least 6 times a year and the General Counsel NL Magazine at the end of each year. We also have an English website: click here
We work together with top-level partners, mostly professional legal service providers that can help our community by sharing knowledge and information.
GCN AGENDA 2021
You can find the up-to-date GCN Agenda with all the details about our activities here. [please login to see the detailed GCN Agenda]
What else do we do?
- EQUAL in LEGAL: In 2019 the EQUAL in LEGAL initiative started in The Netherlands. GCN reached out to both General Counsel and Legal Service Providers and asked them to support the EQUAL in LEGAL Statement. Through this statement, the signatories are giving their commitment to promote Diversity and Inclusion within their workplace and share their D&I experiences and initiatives, and learn from each other’s initiatives. We invite you to also participate and become a signatory. It is for a good cause! How to become a signatory? Learn more
- General Counsel Executive Program: Together with renowned professors from international business schools and universities, GCN has set up the General Counsel Executive Program. This is an international academic English language “mini MBA” that allows GCs to improve their business, leadership, and management skills. For more details and current runs: www.gcexecutiveprogram.com
- GCN LinkedIn Group: You can participate in our GCN LinkedIn Group where we share information on what we do as a community. You are also very welcome to ask questions and inquire about issues that you would like other GCs input on. This group is only for General Counsel. We encourage you to join this group if you haven’t done so yet.
- General Counsel Corona Info Group: GCN started on March 16th,2020 the General Counsel Corona Info group on Linkedin. In this group, we gather relevant information from service providers, GCs, and academics that impact GC. We encourage you to join this group if you haven’t done so yet;
In short: GCN is the professional, personal, and innovative network by and for modern GCs.
As former GCs ourselves and networkers within the Netherlands, we are looking forward to meeting you soon in person. Feel free to contact us should you have any questions on the legal market, persons, and organizations. We are open to sharing our experiences and knowledge.
+31 6 41069433 | +31 6 14837202